Now that I am verging onto adulthood and starting to fathom the complexities of human interactions i realized something, Lebanese people are jack-asses.
We are raised to believe that sweet portrayal of the Lebanese villager that is ever smiling and always inviting, then you are confronted with his modern Lebanese Alter-Ego; a cold, cynical, temperamental, blackberry using, Starbucks drinking, insanely driving, top of the lungs cursing robot that has the patience of a trapped monkey on cocaine (very very very short). I do concur that the modern lifestyle is no place for a fluffy hearted, marshmallow of a human being that is constantly smiling, but do we sincerely have to be so aggressive towards each other? Last time I witnessed this I had stopped my car when I was driving through an alley when I gently pulled the car to a stop to let an old lady waddle across the road to get to her house, not 2 seconds after I had stopped that a tiny car screeched behind me and started honking while the driver (and this is the best) a tiny tiny "Young Lady" probably the size of my fore-arm proceeded to curse me out in ways that could scar a battle hardened war-veteran. The language was so colorful, I have no clue how she managed to incorporate my whole family, an array of furry woodland animals, dead ancestors, and something that involved border-crossings... anyhow, had I sunk to her level stepped out of my vehicle and proceeded to pound some sense into her head and her head into her steering wheel, needless to say, the situation would have escalated.
What i want to know is how this dramatic change occurred that shifted our behavior to the other pole. Bottom line is: Hold your horses, take a chill-pill from time to time and let the universe slip one under your nose! Your nerves will thank you later.
We are raised to believe that sweet portrayal of the Lebanese villager that is ever smiling and always inviting, then you are confronted with his modern Lebanese Alter-Ego; a cold, cynical, temperamental, blackberry using, Starbucks drinking, insanely driving, top of the lungs cursing robot that has the patience of a trapped monkey on cocaine (very very very short). I do concur that the modern lifestyle is no place for a fluffy hearted, marshmallow of a human being that is constantly smiling, but do we sincerely have to be so aggressive towards each other? Last time I witnessed this I had stopped my car when I was driving through an alley when I gently pulled the car to a stop to let an old lady waddle across the road to get to her house, not 2 seconds after I had stopped that a tiny car screeched behind me and started honking while the driver (and this is the best) a tiny tiny "Young Lady" probably the size of my fore-arm proceeded to curse me out in ways that could scar a battle hardened war-veteran. The language was so colorful, I have no clue how she managed to incorporate my whole family, an array of furry woodland animals, dead ancestors, and something that involved border-crossings... anyhow, had I sunk to her level stepped out of my vehicle and proceeded to pound some sense into her head and her head into her steering wheel, needless to say, the situation would have escalated.
What i want to know is how this dramatic change occurred that shifted our behavior to the other pole. Bottom line is: Hold your horses, take a chill-pill from time to time and let the universe slip one under your nose! Your nerves will thank you later.
Amen. Nobody has time to stop and smell the roses.
ReplyDeletePeople are trying so hard to keep up, that they forgot to keep cool.
Great piece.
My Music Player happens to on Give Peace A Chance right now :)